Sunday, November 08, 2009



Photo was taken in Virginia on our way home from Myrtle Beach in August. Just a reminder they are growing up!

It was a gorgeous warm day for November, and because we were all indoors all day yesterday and it was a beautiful day too, I wanted to get outside and enjoy this one day of the week we have together and do something with the family. I thought we could go rollerblading on the lake trail and the kids could ride their bikes, (b/c even though they wanted rollerblades sooo bad, it's too much work! and can't keep up with us, so they'd rather ride their bikes). R said he wanted to paint the cabinet doors first then we would do something. Well he went out and puttered with the hot tub, then with something else and then something else again.By the time R had finished everything, it was mid afternoon and the boys were interested in a computer game.

So R suggested geocaching, (that usually can get them out, by saying we are going treasure hunting), but then he couldn't get the GPS to work, and by this time it was almost 3:00! Well I was just pissed, we had wasted another beautiful day inside, and we are definitely not going to get any more of those again before the snow flies! So I got angry and kicked the boys outside, to get some fresh air. I asked Harrison if he wanted to go for a bike ride with me, (as Carson didn't want to go) and he said no, couldn't he and Carson go for a bike ride by themselves. :( .... and so it begins! I decided instead of sulking in the house, I would go for a walk by myself and burn off some energy and anger.

It always does me good to get out and exercise, even though I procrastinate alot of the time, I really enjoy it and love the benefits. Well while I was walking I got to thinking that the reason I got so angry is b/c the boys are getting older now and it won't be long before they don't want to be around us anymore, that their friends are going to be more important and that makes me very sad! It is such a small window of opportunity with children before they spread their wings and fly and don't need us anymore.

Now don't get me wrong, b/c I really do enjoy my "me" time, but I know that very soon my boys are going to be off and running and I am going to have more free time than I want, it just reminds me of the Harry Chapin song "Cats in the Cradle". and I want to spend as much time with them when they are young as I can. So we didn't have the family day I had envisioned, but at least my hubby got that pile of dirt out of my driveway that has been a thorn in my side since the Spring, so I guess all was not lost!

No comments: